Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Sometimes visual aids make for clearer learning



*Nixon was having another bossy day. He kept trying to set the rules and ignore what was being told to him, by both Mac and myself.
I finally took a different approach, after getting sick of yelling and threats and spanking...nothing worked.
I picked him up and took him to our family photos on the wall. I pointed to one of the 3 of us:
me: Nixon, is this a grown up or a little kid? (pointing at myself in the photo)
Nixon: grown up
me: What about this? (points to Mac) Grown up or little kid?
Nixon: Grown up.
me: And this one? (points to him)
Nixon: A little kid!
me: Okay, so now grownups make the rules and little kids have to follow them. SO, let's try it this way now: Is Mommy a grown up or a little kid?
Nixon: A grown up.
me: And Daddy is...?
Nixon: A grown up.
me: And you, Nixon, you are...?
Nixon: I'm a little kid, Mommy.
me: So, if grown ups make the rules and not little kids, who makes the rules in our house?
Nixon: I don't know.
me: Nix, who are the grown ups in the picture?
Nixon: You and Daddy.
me: So who are the grown ups in our family?
Nixon: You and Daddy?
me: Yes! That's correct. And who is the little kid in our family?
Nixon: I am!!
me: And who makes the rules in our house?
Nixon: grown ups not little kids.
me: Who are the grown ups in our house?
Nixon: Not me!
me: Close enough!



No comments:

Post a Comment